Water Authority of Great Neck North


Do you have lead water pipes? To protect our community, we want to make sure your water remains safe. We are asking everyone to provide us information about their household water pipes. Water pipes are usually made of copper, galvanized steel or lead. We are doing this now because the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has required us to identify all homes with lead pipes no later than October 16, 2024. If you have a lead water service, you may be eligible for grant funds from the Town of North Hempstead to help pay for new pipes.* If you are unable to identify and report your type of pipe, you can hire a licensed/insured plumber to inspect your pipes for lead.

The Town of North Hempstead required copper pipes for homes built after 1939. The Water Authority of Great Neck North owns the part of the pipe from the water main to the curb stop valve, usually near the property line. We're asking you to provide information on your portion of the water pipe, located in your home so we can make sure your water remains safe.

galvanized steel pipe

This is what you will need to identify the type of water you have in your home:

  • A key or coin
  • A magnet
  • Sandpaper
  • A cell phone to take and upload service line pictures.

Watch this YouTube video, then follow these steps:

  1. Find the water meter in your basement. Look at the at the pipe that comes through the outside wall of your home and connects to your meter.
  2. Gently scratch the pipe with a key or a coin. Do NOT use a knife or sharp tool Do not make a hole in the pipe. If the scratch turns a shiny silver color, it could be lead or steel.
  3. Place the magnet on the pipe. If a magnet sticks, it is a steel pipe.
  4. Use your cell phone to take upto 3 pictures of your water pipe to upload them below.
copper pipe
copper pipe
copper pipe

Other Ways You Can Check for Lead

  1. Lead test kits can be purchased at your local hardware or home improvement store. These kits are used to test what the pipe is made from - not the water inside. Look for an EPA recognized kit.
  2. A licensed and insured plumber can inspect your pipes and other plumbing for lead. Replacing an older brass faucet or valve may be a simple way to reduce the lead.

* To learn more about grant funding for lead pipe replacement, call the Town of North Hempstead Community Development Agency at 516-869-2480.

If you need help identifying what type of water pipe you have in your home, call: 516-487-7973 or email: customerservice@wagnn.org.

Service Line Inventory Information

You must complete Section 1 and either sections 2 or 3, in order to submit your response.

Section 1

Section 2

Type of Line:

Section 3










Return to Top

Water Authority of Great Neck North
© All Rights Reserved